Posts Tagged ‘NetApp’

My previous two posts were about getting utilization statistics out of my Network Appliance filers into a Teamquest database for my IT Service Analyzer and Reporter charts. They are working great and I am using them in a production environment. The thing that bothered me about them is they seemed so slow. The volume stats report would take just over a second for four filer heads and the system stats script seemed to take FOREVER. I timed it. It was only five seconds for four filers but the feeling was still FOREVER.

timing old script

ptime of old volstats

timing the old systats

ptime of old systats

I knew what the problem was and I knew I would have to buckle down and learn SNMP even better, and especially learn Perl SNMP modules in order to tune it back my acceptable standards of runtime. That first script was a quick and dirty hack really, and like most hacks it is just functional. All the SNMP requests were running system commands that could be easily run and debugged from a command line. It’s a great way to learn and get something functional at the same time. But it’s like a baby eating from a bottle, it needs to grow up, eat solid food, go to school, and get a job to support itself. Or, in Perl terms, it needs to use pure Perl code to do the work instead of system commands.

So, enter version 2 of both scripts. My new volume stats script literally runs twice as fast as the old script. My new system stats, also quite literally, runs TEN times as fast. Woo hoo! How is that for tuning code and making things better?

timing new volstats

ptime of new volstats

timing new sys stats

ptime of new sys stats

These new versions run no system commands but do all work using the Net-SNMP Perl modules (not to be confused with Net::SNMP Perl modules). The process of learning the SNMP module took several days of trial and error around my other work. The biggest issue with Perl is the confusing amount of Perl modules available to do the same job. Often, a few google searches will reveal which module has the most support and I would choose that one. But in the case of the Perl SNMP modules there is no clear winner. Both have equal number of blogs and confused postings looking for help with the modules.

So I picked one. It was the wrong one initially, of course. I picked Net::SNMP to start with because it can be built using the CPAN shell (eg, ‘perl -MCPAN -e shell’). The other primary SNMP module being used is the one provided by the Net-SNMP command line packages. This can be more of a challenge to build, but more often than not it can just be installed as a package for your system, which is the easy route I chose. I used the OpenCSW package.

The reason I say that the Net::SNMP package was the wrong path is the challenge for an SNMP illiterate to understand SNMP and specialized MIBs. It appeared that you needed to know the confusingly long ID number of the statistic to use this module. I was (and am still) trying to learn about SNMP and could not figure out the proper way to find the statistics I wanted using this module. So I switched to the other package module which allowed me to use names for statistics that I was used to, like “df64AvailKBytes” to find the full and correct amount of Kilobytes available to a filesystem.

So I set off to learn the module. I started small with test scripts to just gather one or a few statistics. This allowed me to make some quick progress and learn how to address the desired statistics as a scalar, array, or hash, and to grow and process multiple statistics in relation to each other.

I ended up using the VarList method within the module. It allows the script to retrieve a bunch of statistics with a single connection. This is much more efficient than the old script which would make up to a dozen SNMP command requests to each filer head to get the desired statistics. This new method gets them once and then let me step through them one row at a time.

View/download my scripts here:

  1. new version 2 netapp volume stats script
  2. new version 2 netapp sys stats script

There is one thing that bothered me and I never figured out when I worked on the volume statistics script (the second one I tackled). When using the command line utilities the entire disk table can be requested using the name ‘dfTable’. This would not work using the Perl SNMP module even though ‘volTable’ and ‘ifTable’ would work. I do not understand the difference, but instead punted and again used the VarList method for named individual statistics with great success. If you know why, please make a comment. I wonder if I could shave a few tenths of a second off using dfTable… 😉